Write Down Your Vision & Goals

Write Down Your Goals And Dreams

The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.
– Melody Beattie

Write Down Your Goals And Dreams

If you don’t know what you want, you will probably never get it.
– Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

There is something to be said about writing down your goals. If you don’t know what you want, you don’t know what you need to achieve to get there.

Writing down your goals takes it from just being just an idea to actively engaging your conscious. When you write things down your consciousness is kicked into gear ready to transform your thoughts into reality. No really!  Thinking about it activates your right hemisphere and imagination. Write it down and you tap into the power of your logic-based left hemisphere. Did you know that you are 42% more likely to achieve your goals and dreams, simply by writing them down? It’s even more likely that you’ll commit something to memory by writing it down. Getting goals out of your head and onto paper is the first step toward their achievement.

I love creating vision boards because it creates a visual representation of my goals and it’s nice to have something to look at on a daily basis. But when I write it down, I’m often going into detail and filling in the gaps that I couldn’t when I was creating my board.

After every vision, there must be a strategy. Strategy is your way of setting the table and preparing the path to do the work because faith without works is dead.

I’m sure you know someone personally or know of someone that has written down their vision and it happened.

Let’s dig in –

1. Put away your phone, turn off the television, close your Facebook page and tell your family and friends not to disturb you. Pray and meditate and start writing your vision.
  2. Create a vision that is clear and simple but be specific (don’t put in any justification or why you want it). Just let it be without an explanation.  A precise vision eliminates confusion which can be a hindrance to progress.
  3. Your vision can be as big bold and beautiful as you want. Dream baby!
  4. When you are done with your vision, its time to break it down to achievable goals.
  5. Yesterday I wrote about getting a good planner. The psychology around getting a planner that you create is that it will be one in which you love. Get you something that you’ll be drawn to. Something, you’ll want to look at, carry it with you, write more in it, etc.  Which is another tip – Fill your life with things you love not just things.
  6. Now it is time to post it. Not to FB or anything – please don’t do that. If it is a family vision, the family needs to see it and be reminded of it. If it is a personal vision, figure out where you can put it so that you are engaging with it on an intimate level. If you write in your journal each morning or at night let this be your time to engage with your strategy. If you read over lunch at work, etc turn it into a bookmark. The most important thing is that you are connecting daily or weekly with it so it doesn’t fall by the wayside. I’ll go more into the importance of creating daily habits in a few days.
  7. Please, please, please do not rush your vision. Be patient with it. It WILL happen in due time.  It may not happen in your exact timetable but it will happen in the right timing.
  8. Activate your faith – It’s a  must! None of this will happen if you doubt it will. Keep believing!

robin rue
    December 12, 2017 at 11:26 am

I love the idea of writing out my goals. That way I can see them in writing and that will help me make them happen. I will do that this weekend.

December 12, 2017 at 11:48 am

I always write down my goals and vision for the new year. Then I revisit the goals every day to keep them in front of my eyes. I also narrow down my goals for the month and even the week. It really helps keep me on track to meet my goals.

December 12, 2017 at 12:46 pm

I keep a notebook with ideas, plans and yes dreams. I see a quote somewhere I write it down. Doodle for inspiration. Even tear out pictures from magazines when I see something I love and enjoy.

Danielle Fox
    December 12, 2017 at 1:25 pm

God is true to His word! Keep praying and running the good race! I am so ready for 2018 <3

December 12, 2017 at 1:26 pm

I think this is important to do! I always write down goals for the year. That way I know exactly what I need to focus on.

Heather
    December 12, 2017 at 1:36 pm

I have heard people saying pick your word for 2018. I think writing down my goals is a great way to visualize what you want and how to get there.

Lisa
    December 12, 2017 at 1:37 pm

I love writing down my goals. There is such accomplishment in marking one off the list. And it helps to see what is left to do.

Tomi C
    December 12, 2017 at 2:22 pm

It’s important to set goals. I teach a Vision Board class and help others to focus on ways to make their goals a reality. We can achieve our goals if we set a plan and do the steps necessary to reach our goal.

December 12, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I made goals last New Years and I didn’t get all of them done, but there are a few that I am excited that I achieved. I have new goals this year and I can’t wait to see if I make them all.

Sarah Honey
    December 12, 2017 at 7:19 pm

I love to create new goals each year and a word of the year. I try really hard to reach them all but sometimes a few move over to the next year.

Jenn @ EngineerMommy
    December 13, 2017 at 12:54 am

I am a big believer in the power of writing down one’s dreams. I always keep track of my goals by writing them down and setting realistic milestones along the way.

Franc Ramon
    December 13, 2017 at 1:52 am

This is so right especially with the year ending and a new year coming. Keep away from the distractions and know where you are heading.

Marquita
    December 13, 2017 at 2:15 am

Love this post! I am currently in the process of writing the goals and action plans that correspond with the symbols and phrases on my 2018 vision board. I haven’t purchased a planner yet, but definitely adding it to my list of things to do before the new year hits. Thanks for sharing!

Ali || Veggies by Candlelight
    December 13, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Writing goals is what I’ll be working on before 2018 comes! I’ve already got my planner ready to go to help me crush 2018.

December 13, 2017 at 1:05 pm

I do find its easier to work towards things when I break them down into simple steps and write them down like a to do list. I keep a calendar and daily to do list but do not include goals on them.

Chubskulit Rose
    December 13, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Jotting down your goals is important. My main goal this year was to pay off one of our car loans and was able to do that this month so wohoo!

Angie
    December 13, 2017 at 8:25 pm

This really is good advice. I need to work harder to write these things down and then accomplish them.

Debra
    December 13, 2017 at 9:49 pm

I agree so much about getting a good planner. My planner keeps me on track more than just about anything else.