It is not the beauty of a building you should look at; its the construction of the foundation that will stand the test of time. -David Allan Coe
When I first think about the word foundation I picture dirt, land and structure. Then my thoughts naturally gravitate toward tall buildings, beautiful architecture, and homes built to house families. None of which would be possible without a solid foundation.
People often look at the dirt as seemingly being the least significant when they are in view of spectacular architecture or beautiful homes. However, it is the foundation that provides the goods for us to build upon. A good foundation will produce beauty for years to come, but the opposite can be detrimental.
To set our foundation I want to address two things immediately and then we will go into 8 tips to start Setting The Foundation. Those two things are:
Fear and Comparison
Concerning Fear…We have to change our perspective around it an hopefully these two tips below will help you flip the script concerning it. We have to stop letting it rule our lives.
- Its OUR fear. Meaning it belongs to us and we have control over it and not the other way around.
- It is OUR subconscious protecting us.
This may seem a little unorthodox but start here. Have a conversation with your fear. Say “I get it. I know you are meant to protect me and I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate your concern, but I’ve got this. We’re good”. For me personally, saying that shifts my dominance over fear. It immediately becomes subordinate. Try it and see how it works for you. Fear can be this huge giant blocking the door way to our greatest life dreams, or it can be something we create a new perception around.
Comparison – Comparison can mess up your whole foundation. Comparison is looking at someone else, thinking you know their journey and wishing you had what they had. When you are tempted to compare, tell yourself that your journey and your lessons are yours alone to savor and only you can do you better.
8 Things to start Setting The Foundation
- Believe that it is possible! Your biggest hindrance is not your ability, or even your circumstances. It’s your mind. I’ll go into more of the power of your mind within these 21 days but if you grasp anything let it be the unwavering belief that you will be successful.
- Create a Plan. A plan is the map, the strategy that’s going to take you from where you are to where you want to be. As a practical step in setting the foundation, buy you a planner. Daily Planners work really well to assist you with staying on track. Erin Condren has great planners that are loved by everyone. You can grab one of these or get one from you Walmart or Target, as long as you get one and get extremely detailed about your goals.
- Fill in the gaps. Where do the gaps exist? What’s missing? What questions do you have? What researched needs to be done to fill in the gaps to get you to your desired destination. Strategy requires being realistic and addressing the gaps head on. Is there a training or course you need? Write it down so that you can address it.
- Know Your Why! If you don’t know this and aren’t able to articulate this, you have to define it for yourself and do it immediately. Success starts with a clear focus. Your WHY answers the following questions. Why you want to achieve? Is it an ideal life, balance, providing your children with a life you never had? How will it help others (If its a business you must remember its not about you but rather what you can provide to someone else that they value enough to pay for).
- Practice Gratitude. This is extremely, extremely important. Gratefulness makes room for more things to enter into your life.
- Take Care Of Yourself. There’s no success without self-care. I’ve created free resource for you to download. Go here and I will email you the Self-Care Commitment Workbook to begin making Self-Care a commitment in you life.
- Show Yourself Grace. Of course, our goal in doing the work is to be successful. However, if you don’t hit your targets, know that you will if you just keep at it. Every effort is an inch in the right direction so the effort is never wasted.
- Stay Humble. Humility will take you farther than you ever intended to go. Being humble is understanding that success is a privilege not afforded to everyone. So if you are successful let your path, and your beginning be your constant reminder but never your hindrance.
Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility. -Saint Augustine
Thank you joining me along this journey in getting prepared for the new year. If you wait until the new year you’re already late so let’s get ourselves ready now. I can’t wait to see what things you accomplish this year. Whether your goals are simple or complex, let’s do this together!