Rest Is Essential
Our bodies need rest. It’s not an option, its a necessity. During rest, we experience the best setting for our body and mind to heal and recuperate.
Sleep has come under scrutiny as the years have gone by due to sayings like “I’ll sleep when I’ll die” or “Sleep . One thing that lack of sleep will do is create an unhealthy lifestyle that will compromise both the body and mind in the process.
“Peace of mind remains but a dream without quality sleep” – Unknown
What typically happens when we don’t sleep or get the rest our bodies require is that we hit rock bottom and typically its at the most inopportune time when we need to be on our game. I’ve personally experienced this enough to know that creating a healthy balance between the grind and rest is key.
Sleep or lack thereof affects your energy, ability to cope, your emotional balance and even physical vitality.
Did you know that Sleeping Pills have become one of the most prescribed drugs? We’ve gotten out of rhythm with our bodies’ need. The thing is if we listen to our bodies we can catch it, but busyness causes us to ignore the signals. Competing priorities cause us to put other things at the top of our lists.
The recommended amount of hours per night is around 7-9 hours each day. Most of us do not achieve anywhere near the recommended amount of rest. However, achieving your goals will require the balance. You’ll sacrifice many things in the process of striving to reach your goals, but try not to compromise rest.
Before I jump into tips on how to relax before bed, I want to tell you about REM cycle sleeping. If you absolutely can’t do 7-9 hours of sleep each night try to complete a REM cycles of 90 minute increments. REM sleep happens during this final stage of sleep when you are dreaming and experience rapid burst of eye movement (hence the name). Sleeping within these increments will allow you to awake feeling rested. Use this sleep calculator to determine the best time to go to sleep and still feel refreshed based on the time you need to wake up.
Now, here are a few tips on relaxing before bed:
- Avoid strenuous activity late at night as this will reactivate your energy.
- Try some stretching and deep breathing to get your body into a relaxed state.
- Get all your tasks out of the way by a certain time so that you can designate a “turn off” time.
- Great natural aids to sleep are chamomile tea with honey (the honey aids in creating natural serotonin which in your body).
- Hot detox baths before sleep with a little epsom salt and lavender oil
- Darken the room. The pineal gland can detect the absence of light and natural. Sleep masks and blackout curtains are going to be great for this.
Everything is a process. If you fall off, just get back on! Making sleep a priority doesn’t have to be such a hard task. Just make room for it in your life.
Sending love and good vibes to you 😘!