Find Your Flow

Find Your Flow

The more in harmony you are with the flow of your own existence, the more magical life becomes. -Adyashanti

Time is precious which is why it’s so important to get the most out of your time. Finding your flow is about reaching your optimal state of consciousness in which you feel and perform at your very best.

According to Mihály Csikszentmihályi, when a person has found their flow, they are completely engrossed in the optimal creative experience and, without making the conscious decision to do so, lose awareness of all other things: time, people, and distractions.

When people are in their flow, they’re able to crank out projects and tasks with ease producing some of their best work. This is why finding your flow is a topic we want to address when discussing making preparation for the new year.

My grandmother used to say,”You can’t get blood from a turnip” which means that you can’t take something from something that isn’t there. Money also doesn’t grow on trees but that’s a conversation for another day. Back to the topic at hand.  In order to get into your flow you have to be filled, inspired, motivated.  You have to find the things that trigger your inspiration.  So let’s talk about things that can help you find your flow and get you to your optimal creative consciousness.

Find Your Flow

Here’s a few tips.

• Set the Atmosphere.  Create a space you can be comfortable and productive in. This includes temperature, comfortable seating, lighting, and even clothing. Do you rock a favorite shirt, sweats and fuzzy socks or something else?
  • Find your inspiration. Typically reading a book or a few pages or even looking at art are ways to trigger inspiration. I find my inspiration in two places; the museum and the library because being surrounded by books or art plugs me in.
  • A Favorite Magazine or Editorial. Usually magazines are chocked full of imagery and articles that are sure to inspire. I remember being on a airplane and finding tons of inspiration in a Southwest Flight Magazine.
  • Decor. Clean spaces automatically puts me into a good flow. If I’m in an area clear of distraction with lots of natural light shining in, I can easily find my flow. Another things to think about is colors. Are there certain colors that charge you and spark your creativity?
  • Music. I’m still trying to hone it on what music allows me to tap into my flow faster. I have my favorite music but I also have music that makes me a little more productive than others.
  • Greenery. Many times fresh plants and greenery even flowers are a great point of inspiration.
  • Boutiques. Shopping areas, Boutique Hotels, Pottery Barn, etc.

I could go on and on about places that provide inspiration, but decide what it looks like and feels like for you so that when you are ready to be your most productive, you know how to tap into your flow and get things done.

“The zone is a state of mind which is marked by a sense of calmness. In addition, there is a heightened sense of awareness and focus. Actions seem effortless and there is an increased belief that your dreams or goals can become achievable and real. In addition, there is also a sense of deep enjoyment when the person is in this unique, special and magical state of being.” –Dr. Jay Granat, Sports Psychologist

Denise Seegobin
    December 14, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I really need to do more of this. I am so stressed out these days that I can hardly function. I love how you put all that information there to inspire us.

December 14, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Setting the atmosphere is so important when trying to find your flow! When I’m writing, I want peace and quiet. I love music but not when I’m in my flow and need to concentrate.

December 14, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Music often makes me more productive, especially when doing things like cleaning. But to be fair I don’t consider motivation and inspiration to be the same things.

December 14, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Getting outside into nature should be an adventure. Take the time to see and enjoy the little things that go on around us in nature.

December 14, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Music has always helped me. I usually always have it going. I also try to have a clean space around me. And a candle going!

Anosa
    December 14, 2017 at 9:12 pm

I do love the quotes used in this inspiring post and couldn’t agree more, music is something that helps me loads and mostly is classical type of music

Ashley
    December 14, 2017 at 9:27 pm

I fully believe that I feel a better flow when my living and working spaces are clean of clutter. It just gives me peace.

Tomi C
    December 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Some scents also help to provide inspiration and set the mood. Something about the scent of peppermint that is so invigorating and uplifts my mood.

Anita Anderson
    December 14, 2017 at 10:56 pm

I love these tips. It is so true in order to find your flow you need to be inspired and motivated.

Pam Wattenbarger
    December 14, 2017 at 11:36 pm

I have a hard time finding my flow. I am easily distracted from the creative process while I am working.

Bonnie G
    December 14, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Finding my flow is something I really need to work on. Thanks for sharing this post.

Jenn @ EngineerMommy
    December 15, 2017 at 12:04 am

I am inspired by my environment. That’s why I always keep my home and office clean and tidy. I also add decorative touches for decor!

Jen Temcio
    December 15, 2017 at 1:56 am

This is very interesting and worth striving for. I wonder what it feels like to be in your flow?

Marquita
    December 15, 2017 at 7:13 am

I definitely agree with setting your environment in order to find your flow. A couple of years ago I read the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and it inspired me to search for joy in my environment, and to also be mindful of what I allow to occupy space and energy within my environment. Something I’m still working on is how to balance my environmental needs with the needs/desires of my family. This post has insipired me to take some time to reset my environment in preparation for a productive new year. Thanks for sharing!

Marysa
    December 15, 2017 at 6:30 pm

This is an interesting concept. I don’t usually put too much thought into my surroundings, but it makes sense. It’s kind of like how clutter makes us anxious, or good workout music gets you moving. I’ll have to be more aware about these things.

Chubskulit Rose
    December 15, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Music has always been a big part of my motivation for working out and doing things. Finding your own flow is definitely a big thing.

Dina Demarest
    December 15, 2017 at 9:34 pm

Yes, I agree. I definitely needed to read this. Thank you!

Amy
    December 16, 2017 at 4:03 am

As a blogger during the holiday rush, I need to work a little better on finding my flow! I think some instrumental music will help get the groove going

2018Camille
    December 17, 2017 at 4:53 pm

I see your main page doesn’t rank in google’s top 10, but your articles can get into top 10.
    You should find the right longtail keywords before you write an article.

How to find super easy longtail keywords? Search in google for: Fasrixo’s tools

Adrienne
    December 17, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Very interesting read and good insight. I am all about maintaining my flow in the new year!

She Smiles Within - Women Living Well