Do The Work

Do The Work

The future belongs to those who prepare for it today. – Malcolm X

You want to have a life that no one else has, well then you have to Do The Work. Being brave enough to do it is only half the battle. Doing it is the other half.

The Work:

Develop Your Skillset – Learn, Train, and Do! Be the best at what you do by equipping yourself to be the best. Practice doesn’t always make perfect, but it does give you a new skill. That’s the true goal.

Crawl Until You Can Walk – Do what you can do, but don’t decide not to do anything. Every person, business, or idea had a starting point. You may not run right away, but crawl until you can.

Adopt The Habits of Successful people – It takes 21 Days to make a new habit. What’s the habit that you’d like to make room for in your life? Is it reading at night before you go to bed. Is it not checking your phone in the morning? There is beauty in habitual behaviors as it clears the mind to be more creative rather than task oriented. Not to mention, the most successful people have habits that they live by.

Throw Out Perfectionism: Yes, perfectionism has to go. I understand wanting to do things in excellence, but perfectionism will become a one stop shop toward procrastination if you let it.  Check out this book,”The Beauty of An Ugly Start” for inspiration.

Do The Work

Be Yourself : Your “A” game is going to be YOUR best game. Meaning at the point in which you are completely yourself, you’ve already brought your best game to the table. Life is too short be replicating someone else’s style, voice, etc. I know we all have mentors and people we look up to, but be mindful of not being drowned out.

Just Do It (Like Nike) because if you don’t someone else will and there’ a good chance that they’ll be living the life you could’ve. Head down, sleeves up. It’s grind time.

A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination, and hard work.
Colin Powell

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don’t turn up at all.
Sam Ewing

Nothing ever comes to one, that is worth having, except as a result of hard work.
Booker T. Washington

December 13, 2017 at 11:49 am

I’ve always been a perfectionist and I finally learned to ease up on myself. Delegating was something I always found hard to do. I just didn’t think anyone could get things done the way I wanted them done. Thankfully, I’ve changed over the years.

December 13, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Crawl before you can walk is something to always remember. Make a plan, revise if necessary but yes it is very important to research and do your homework first.

December 13, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Yes, I so agree. You MUST do work to succeed. It can’t just be handed to you. Plus, I feel more accomplished when I’ve worked hard on something and it does well.

Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh
    December 13, 2017 at 5:19 pm

I’ve always loved Nike’s saying, Just Do It! You’ve given some great pointers…and your right, doing it is only half the battle.

Anita
    December 13, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Great advice in living and leading a positive life. I always say it starts with the mindset first.

Emily
    December 13, 2017 at 11:51 pm

This is so important! I love that you said to crawl until you can walk. I am the type that wants to start off running when I set my mind to something, but that can hold me back if I know I have to start walking first. There is nothing wrong with taking your time and doing what you can.

Jenn @ EngineerMommy
    December 13, 2017 at 11:55 pm

I agree that perfectionism can be detrimental. While I have tendencies to be a perfectionist, I try to keep that in check. Otherwise I’d never finish anything. 🙂

December 14, 2017 at 12:17 am

Yes, there are certain things where you really do have to do the work. I had heard it takes doing something a number of times (not necessarily days) to make a habit and it’s pretty interesting.

Marquita
    December 14, 2017 at 1:26 am

Strive for excellence, not perfection. I definitely had this mantra on repeat in 2017. This past year was full of new challenging tasks for me. Perfectionism once played a role in keeping me from accepting more challenging tasks. I feared the unknown, and this fear had me functioning in a comfort zone where I knew I could perfectly deliver. My wise team leader often reminds me that even if mistakes are made, I can correct them. Keeping this in mind has allowed me to let go of a lot of the pressure I placed on myself to do things perfectly. I’m now more receptive to challenges. I accept accountability, correct mistakes if needed, and move on to the next challenge. I’m now learning to apply this to my own personal dreams. Good post! Thanks for sharing!

Tomi C
    December 14, 2017 at 2:23 am

There’s something about the Nike slogan “JUST DO IT” that hypes me up. You do it, you either succeed or fail but you’ll never know until you do it.

Amanda
    December 14, 2017 at 3:30 am

Oh how I needed to read this tonight. I keep finding myself striving to be perfect this holiday season and it simply isn’t feasible. I really need to relax and let go.

Rach Ferrucci
    December 14, 2017 at 5:53 am

All great advice. One of my biggest challenges was to delegate because I really believed I had to do the work to succeed. It took me a while to learn you don’t need to do all the work and it’s ok to have help.

Our Family World
    December 14, 2017 at 6:02 am

Great pieces of advice you’ve shared in this post. I always believed that we should never let go of the dream. No matter how long it takes, as long as we keep moving forward, and working hard to reach it, we will!

Bohemian Babushka
    December 14, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Very to the point and Babushka loves it!! Wonderful list and suggestions and so doable when stated like this, that it has to be shared. Gracias.

Kita Bryant
    December 14, 2017 at 9:33 pm

I love this! You have to do the hard work and start out at the bottom if you want to make it for real!

Debra Schroeder
    December 15, 2017 at 4:02 am

Fantastic tips for anyone regardless of profession. I’ll have to check out that book on perfectionism, that tends to hold me up.

Ricci
    December 15, 2017 at 9:31 am

This is such a great read! I have always considered myself a control freak and so Turing over the reigns to someone else still seems weird to me…LOL! I need to try a couple of these things though.

December 15, 2017 at 12:23 pm

This is a great post! It is a good reminder that, yes as much as it is a cliché, you need to crawl before you walk. I am VERY bad at that! I want to run 100 mph when I start and I know that is not the way to do it!

Dina Demarest
    December 15, 2017 at 9:17 pm

I was a perfectionist before until I realize that perfection does not determine you or your work. Your passion does.

Fi Ni Neachtain
    December 16, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Some really great advice here. I have to admit that I struggle with the perfectionism bit, especially when it comes to my photography. It’s something I have to try and change.