Health

5 Tips to Stay Hydrated in Winter Months

Staying Hydrated in Winter

Dehydration can occur in any season and it’s definitely not isolated to the winter. However, during the winter its just as important to hydrate your body due to the harsh cold weather that it brings.  I find that during the warmer months, I’m outside, I’m busy, I’m working out and I’m sweating a lot more. Automatically that means I’m often drinking a lot more water in order to stay hydrated and cool. Even my hair needs a little extra TLC and moisture in the winter months and what better way to feed it but from in the inside. That’s why we’re providing tips for you to stay hydrated in the winter.

5 Tips to Stay Hydrated in The Winter

Stay Hydrated in Winter

1. Eat Fruit

In the Winter fruit can be an excellent source of water for hydration. Some fruits that are in season during this time of the year are apples, cranberries, pears, persimmons, and pomegranates. Here’s why you should eat them. Not only are they a great source of vitamin C to help keep your immune system strong and fighting off colds and the flu during this season, but the water percentages speak for themselves. Apples and pears alone are both about 84-percent water. Pretty great huh?

2. Soups and Salt Are Good

I know people typically stray from salt on a regular basis, but our bodies are about 70% water and eating foods that contain a moderate amount of salt will help you retain water.  When we are dehydrated, we often turn to drinks that contain electrolytes to put sodium back into our body to replenish it.  We even do this for our children/babies with drinks like pedialyte. Eating things that contain sea salt of himalayan pink salt aren’t as bad, because these salts do not contain iodine.  Plus nice hot soups, vegetables, or broths with a few of your favorite crackers makes you feel good in the winter.

3. Limit The Amount of Caffeine you intake.

Now, I love my coffee and will definitely still partake, but there must be balance in everything. All year round, the first drink I like to put to my lips in the morning is water. It’s the perfect way to awaken your system and flush out the toxins from the day before.  After that, I don’t mind drinking a little coffee, but do note that caffeine is a diuretic and helps you expel water from your body. Keep that in mind when you are looking for ways to stay hydrated in winter months.

4. Coconut Water

Coconut Water is known for its amazing ability to super hydrate your body and quench your thirst. Whenever I feel like I need a good refreshing I grab some coconut water from the store. But for those of you who are not really into the taste of coconut water but want to still experience the benefits, Welch’s new Tropical Berry Grape and White Grape Mango juices with coconut water are perfect for you. Not only does it have a great taste and is wonderfully refreshing, but it is also 100% Juice with 30% less sugar! Check out their website to find out more about it and where you can get it in stores. I replaced my current juice with both of Welch’s new flavors in smoothies this week and I loved them. It’s the perfect juice to keep my on my healthy regimen and taking care of my body.

Stay Hydrated in Winter

welchs coconut water

5. Add Lemon or Fruit to Your Water

Lemon is high in Vitamin C and helps to facilitate cell hydration. Plus, adding slices of other fresh fruits such as limes, oranges, or cucumber slices to your water can help with this as well. It also adds a little flavor to plain water. I know plenty of people who are more apt to drink water if it has a little flavor to it so — add away.

Stay Hydrated in Winter

Mama Ash
    October 3, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Yes to soups! Now with the cooler weather, I have a pot of soup on the stove almost every day and am trying to get my kids to eat more as it’s such nourishment for the soul and their growing bodies.

Jennifer Van Huss
    October 3, 2017 at 8:41 pm

These are great tips! We always associate dehydration with summer and sweating, but we can get dehydrated in the winter too!! Soup is my favourite way to add water to my life in the weekend!

Melanie
    October 4, 2017 at 12:48 am

When I worked outside the home, I had no trouble staying hydrated during the day. It is much harder to stay hydrated at home, and I’m not sure why! I need to get prepped for winter hydration for sure.

Censie Sawyer
    October 4, 2017 at 2:28 am

I have not tried this yet but it is on my grocery list for next week. It sounds so yummy, coconut water is one of my favorites. I love these ideas for the winter time. Sometimes we forget to drink water when it is cold out. Thanks for the great tips.

Leah
    October 4, 2017 at 3:01 am

These are great tips. The soups tip is a good one. I have never thought about adding soups to my diet in the winter to help myself stay hydrated, but it makes sense.

Natasha
    October 4, 2017 at 4:02 am

Love this! So informative!

Sapphire Kharyzma
    October 4, 2017 at 5:06 am

What awesome tips. I have no choice but to stay hydrated all year long. I am such a water fanatic. I love soup and can see me experimenting with a new recipe as much as I can. Thanks for sharing this information

Nadalie Bardowell
    October 4, 2017 at 4:56 pm

Fruit bowls are a great way to stay hydrated for sure! Look at those colours, now I am craving one of my own. Soups are probably my favourite in the winter months, the hearty goodness of vegetables warms your soul and fills your stomach. I always have a lemon in my water, it makes me drink more often therefore I know I am getting enough water everyday.

Julee Morrison
    October 5, 2017 at 1:53 am

These are great tips. I love how beautiful your berry waters look. Those blackberries are calling my name! I think hydration is so important. I read the the majority of us are hydrated…that’s frightening! Also, I love that you point out that salt isn’t so bad. I was surprised when I learned this, but I have implemented it many times and salt is definitely a good thing (all things in moderation; right?!)

Aprill Coleman
    October 5, 2017 at 3:04 am

I LOVE coconut water! To see Welch’s incorporate it in their juice was genius! Nothing is more hydrating, more nutritious and delicious as coconut water. Thanks for sharing your experience!

GiGi Eats
    October 5, 2017 at 3:08 am

My liquid intake doesn’t really vary in the winter vs. summer – actually, wait, scratch that, I drink a lot more tea because it keeps me nice and toasty! If anything, I drink way less in the summer!!!

Karlyn Cruz
    October 5, 2017 at 6:20 pm

I think I drink way too much coffee. I drink a lot of water throughout the day but I think sometimes my caffeine intakes totally defeats my water intake. This is a great reminder. Thanks for telling me about Welch’s. I didn’t realize they have coconut water.