Inspiration Life Wisdom

Get out of your own

The title of this post was coined from the book written by Actor/Singer Tyrese Gibson. Yes, Tyrese wrote a book and I believe it is exceptional.  It comes from his heart and personal life experiences. How to Get out of Your Own Way left me filled with many emotions.

• I was angry for letting so much time and so many opportunities pass me by and not taking greater advantage of the life that I was given.
  • I was grateful that I still had the chance to get it right and start a new day with a fresh start.
  • But most importantly, it left me inspired to do great things with my life.
  • It left me fervently seeking out my purpose here on earth.

The other day I was watching a live video on Periscope. If you don’t know what it is, it has been all the rave in new technology. It’s reminiscent of snapchat except it’s in conjunction with twitter and you can actually “trend” if you get enough hearts (likes). But I digress, my favorite person to watch right now on Periscope is Les Brown. He’s really taken a liking to the app and reaches out to broadcast live often.  Les Brown has to be one of the most inspiring men that I’ve come across. I’ve watched and listened to tons of motivational speeches that he has given, but he said something that caused me to pause for a moment on a recent broadcast.  I watched him as he said that he could’ve been so much further had he not doubted himself. Due to not being college educated Les, discouraged himself from going through many doors. He was already so successful, you mean he could’ve been much more successful?

The Courage to Get Out of Your Own Way

How often do we hesitate or simply not act just because we’ve already ruled ourselves out. How many opportunities have we missed because we just didn’t believe that we could. Les has a God given gift to speak and cause others to move but what if he kept allowing himself to be dismayed. What if he kept closing the doors of opportunity when they opened to him. Where would his story possibly end?

Finally Les, stated one thing that I will take with me,

It really is as simple as a choice, just like the choice to be happy. Will you choose to have the courage to get of your own way?

Get out of your own way1I would spend years getting pumped about an idea, a new pursuit, an effort that would change my life only to quit, or lets just be real…sometimes I simply never got started. I never pursued it. I would begin thinking about the work that would be required, the amount of research that had to be done and not to mention the time that would be swapped from my life.  But I had to understand that when I prayed, God presented me with opportunities to change my life but I never ran with them. Funny thing about an opportunity is that it is just that… an opportunity. Sometimes you snooze, you lose.

Stop talking yourself out of applying for certain positions, out of pursuing your education, out of taking your gift or a new idea to the next level. The only person that can get out of your way is YOU.

Have you read my post about Living Your Authentic Life. It’s about discovering what has already been and ties right into this. Go check it out.

Take inventory on your life today. What’s holding you back?

Also, check out Tyrese’s book here, I know it will inspire you.

Sicorra@NotNowMomsBusy
    June 22, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Love the message here! I think to some extent we all do this. We all talk ourselves out of doing something, or think we are not good enough to do something. Pushing through is hard, but can be so rewarding too.

SheSmiles
      June 23, 2015 at 12:51 pm

The best part is knowing that it WILL be so rewarding.

Ourfamilyworld
    June 22, 2015 at 6:16 pm

This is a very inspiring post. I agree that the only person that can get out of your way is YOU. If you can’t do it, then no else can do it for you. Once you get past that, you’ll be amazed that you did it and with how much more you can do.

SheSmiles
      June 23, 2015 at 12:48 pm

What happens is that once you get out of your own way, you’ll watch yourself grow tremendously and more opportunity opens up to you as a result.

AC Mims
    June 22, 2015 at 6:41 pm

I seriously love this post. We don’t have to live like we have been. There is another side to just talking about it or lamenting the stories we’ve told ourselves. I’m committed to ACTION. Thank YOU for this reminder!

SheSmiles
      June 23, 2015 at 12:46 pm

That’s so true. I definitely agree. We can talk about it all day but it’s not until we start working do we begin to see the fruit of our labor.

Chelley @ AisForAdelaide
    June 23, 2015 at 1:05 am

This is such a great message and reminder- thank you for sharing! So many times I’ve been frustrated about where I am and I see the only thing really in my way is me!

Elizabeth O.
    June 23, 2015 at 8:48 am

This is a beautiful message and a great reminder that I should get out of my own way. Sometimes, there is something I really want to do, but I can’t. And when I look around, there is no one really stopping me, but me.

SheSmiles
      June 23, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I had to come to the same realization, but so thankful that I know better. It’s time to move!

Kimi
    June 23, 2015 at 5:49 pm

I adore Tyrese for his motivational words, and my father has had me listening and reading Les Brown books since I was in Junior High. So often, we underestimate ourselves and disrupt the positive energy that’s coming our way. Definitely an uplifting post today!

Liz Mays
    June 23, 2015 at 7:43 pm

I’m constantly tripping myself up this way. Must.get.better about that!

Kendra
    June 23, 2015 at 8:17 pm

This is so true! It happens too often that we get on our own way and we doubt ourselves. Now, I have to go out and get Tyrese’s new book!

Drea
    June 24, 2015 at 12:09 am

This is a great post, Mellissa. I can totally relate. I cannot tell you how many times I have worked myself up over pursuing a new venture and have talked myself out of it. But, like you said, eventually we have to get up and move! I enjoyed reading Tyrese’s book as well and will definitely be checking Les Brown out.

Thanks for sharing this inspiration!

Iedda Patterson
    June 24, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Amazing post. After a bit of soul searching I realized that I am a great cheerleader and motivator to others however I stood in my own way regarding my personal success. I helped others make money freely and didn’t charge for or value my time. I have made my mental shift and am now making a change for the growth of me and my family. This post was right on time. Thanks for sharing. Its no surprise that I can re late to the majority of the comments as well.
    #BLMGirls

Letty C.
    June 25, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Great post. I think we all have been in that situation and more often than not when we get out of our own way things start to happen.

Life as a Convert
    June 27, 2015 at 1:35 am

This is so awesome. I had no clue that Tyrese wrote a big. I am big fan of his.