Hear Me Roar Living Authentically Movies

LIVING YOUR AUTHENTIC LIFE: PART 1

the-secret-life-of-walter-mitty

Living Your Authentic Life Series: Part 1 – Discovering what has always been.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

If you haven’t watched this movie, I would definitely recommend adding it to your collection.

Have you ever watched a movie that motivated you? A movie that calls for you to come out of your normal existence? A movie that beckons you to do something greater in life, in your relationships, and in everything that you commit yourself to? Well this movie does that. You get lost in the silliness and incapacitation of a man who daydreams at the most inopportune moments. Pushing pause on his real life in order to imagine himself doing things that he really wanted to do.

Through a series of events he begins to BE the person that had been there all along. His greater existence was in him the whole time. He had the power. He already possessed the capability to be so much more but it would take him getting outside of his comfort zone, outside of his daydreams and on to the path that was leading him toward his reality.

Do any of you remember middle school? My brief stint as a substitute teacher threw me back into the school setting and I found myself remembering the awkwardness of middle school. Middle School wasn’t very pleasant for me or most kids that age. It’s the stage where you are discovering where you fit in. You think you’re grown but you really aren’t. You’re just a scared kid navigating a new place. You’re trying to flex your muscles, you’re smelling yourself, your body is developing, your self-esteem is waning, peer pressure is increased and the list goes on. It wasn’t until High School that I came into myself. I became an individual, I became someone that was confident and that I could be proud of. Bold, brave, daring…even if it meant that I spent a lot of time in my own world. I danced to my own tune, marched to the beat of my own drum, and you couldn’t place me with one group of people because I talked to everybody. Then life happened, the summer before my first year of college, I was pregnant. Life changed for me drastically in the years to follow and through loss, heartache and life circumstances, I lost who I was. It was hard for me to recognize the girl in the mirror. I no longer knew those eyes that were staring back at me. I became a deflated image of myself.

Much like Walter, life happened and a series of events tossed him about and he settled into this, “less than” Walter. The deflated Walter. The eharmony guy in the movie said, “I pictured you as this little gray piece of paper, but now I see you and it’s like Indiana Jones decided to become the lead singer of The Strokes or something.”

That quote describes it so well, when you are not living life to the fullest, when you are dreaming but not working, when you are letting life happen instead of taking life by the horns, then you become like that little gray piece of paper. Gray isn’t even all that exciting either!! I mean come on???!! Life happens but through the ups and downs and disappointments, don’t forget who you ARE. When I say “who you are”, I’m not talking about who you were but who you ARE. The person God says you are. You are so much more than what the hand of life has dealt to you. There are greater things in store. Think about Walter; a man stuck in his imagination and forced to expand beyond himself into a greater more fulfilling existence. The interesting thing about Mitty was his imagination wouldn’t allow him to maintain a normal existence. He would’ve continued to struggle, continued to daydream because who he was wouldn’t allow him to stay the same and be happy with it.

“Life is about courage and going into the unknown.”

When you get a chance, go check out the movie.

Want to keep reading?  Check out “Living Your Authentic Life; Part 2”.

If you have enjoyed this post and would love to read more, you have to check out Ericka Chatman’s post at ErickaSaves.com called, The Longest Year, How I Lost Everything as part of our Living Your Authentic Life Series.

Angela
    January 3, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I enjoyed reading this! Thank you for sharing! And you described the movie perfectly!!!

SheSmiles
      January 17, 2015 at 9:32 pm

So glad you stopped by! Thanks for reading.

Christine
    January 5, 2015 at 2:42 pm

This looks like it’s a good movie. I didn’t get a chance to watch it. Normally I am not a movie watcher, but sometimes I do. Last summer was one of the first times a movie impacted my life. In fact it helped turn my life into something for the better. It made me start a simple living journey. Although I had no idea what I was doing, after some more research and still continuing to research I am getting the hang of it. It is such a beautiful experience. See, I am more of a lyrics to a song kind of girl…but sometimes I will look deeper into a movie that changes life’s perspectives. Thanks for the post!

The Longest Year: How I Lost EVERYTHING Part 1
    January 6, 2015 at 4:36 am

[…] post is part of Living Your Authentic Life Series that myself and Melissa Sims from She Smiles Within is hosting, check out her amazing post here “Living Your Authentic […]

Kim
    March 10, 2015 at 1:42 pm

The secret life of Walter Mitty is one show that I will love to see. We have to daily fight within our self to be both transparent and vulnerable. Authenticity is an intentional decision one has to make every day. #BLMGirls

Skye charlie
    March 10, 2015 at 1:48 pm

This is powerful! “If your dreaming and not working….” Yes! You said it all. Thanks for the early morning motivation.

AC Mims
    March 10, 2015 at 3:17 pm

I love this! I shared Part 2 on my blog and I’m glad I came back to read Part 1.

Camesha
    March 12, 2015 at 7:39 pm

You absolutely make me want to see this movie. I’m a huge believer in creating a life you love. There’s no need to just sit back and let life happen as if you have no say so.

#BLMgirl

African American Bloggers You Need To KnowEricka Saves
    June 21, 2015 at 3:24 pm

[…] for everyone with her blog “She Smiles Within.” Find everything from dating, to “Living Authentically” on this […]

Get out of your own way - She Smiles Within
    June 22, 2015 at 12:58 am

[…] you read my post about Living Your Authentic Life. It’s about discovering what has already been and ties right into this. Go check it […]

Jenn @ EngineerMommy
    July 6, 2016 at 2:54 pm

This post is a great reminder of the importance of living an authentic life. I always try to be genuine and thoughtful in my everyday life! Doing what I love and what makes me happy is another way that I try to be true to myself.

pam
    July 6, 2016 at 3:27 pm

It’s so important to live your authentic life. When you are not being yourself, it’s obvious to everyone around you that you aren’t living up to your potential.

Alli
    July 6, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I haven’t seen the movie, but I really want to. The older I get, the more I realize that we do have to take life by the horns and live life to the fullest.

Sarah
    July 6, 2016 at 6:42 pm

What a great read, middle school really does seem like a hard time for everyone. It is that awkward age group for sure.

Vera Sweeney
    July 6, 2016 at 8:55 pm

I loved this movie and have seen it a couple times!! It really is sad how much we can get caught up in our everyday life and miss so much!

Chrishelle
    July 7, 2016 at 12:06 am

I have never seen this movie, but I definitely think I need to check it out. We definitely need to keep the whole picture in perspective when it come to life. It is so easy to lose yourself and never find the you God intended to lie your life.

Liz Mays
    July 7, 2016 at 2:16 am

This is a great message. I’ll have to check out this movie. It sounds like something I’d like.

Kendall
    July 7, 2016 at 4:43 am

This sounds like such a great movie! I love this post, you are a great writer for sure! : )

Bella B
    July 7, 2016 at 4:43 am

Wow sounds like a wonderful movie, I’ve never heard of it! I’ll definitely have to check it out – I love the message.

Rebecca Swenor
    July 7, 2016 at 9:17 am

This movie is indeed something I will be seeing with my sons. They are young and don’t know what they want or who they are yet. Walter reminds me of me with the day dreaming. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Amanda Love
    July 7, 2016 at 10:32 am

I really like this quote “Life is about courage and going into the unknown.” It says a lot from how you should live your life. You won’t find out how much is in store for you if you don’t take a risk! Because that’s what’s life is all about anyway, diving in and taking risks!

Mimi Green
    July 7, 2016 at 2:15 pm

I can relate to several of these things. Middle school was full of change and uncertainty.

This sounds like a good movie.

Peachy @ The Peach Kitchen
    July 7, 2016 at 10:10 pm

I’ve seen this movie and I am with you that you have to take charge of your life and work on it to live the life you want.

Stephanie Pass
    July 8, 2016 at 10:46 am

I haven’t seen this movie, but it sounds like a great message. I have always tried to be the real authentic me. I have no idea how to be any other way.

rika
    July 8, 2016 at 5:28 pm

This is such a powerful message and beautiful article. Middle school was horrible for me too!

Jennifer
    July 8, 2016 at 7:46 pm

Such a great message! Going to add this to my movie bucket list!