Once you realize how valuable you are, you gain a greater understanding of why it is important to make the most of your time. Don’t waste it!! A year is a substantial amount of time to get a great number of things accomplished. I don’t know about you but it seems as if time is really getting away from us and each year is going by much quicker than it did the year before. Let’s plan this year and make it as purposeful as possible.
Not quite sure where to start? Here are some questions to get you going…
- Where do you see yourself by the end of the year?
- Where do you see yourself in 6 months?
- What hurdles do you want to see yourself overcoming naturally and spiritually?
- Do you have a fitness goal in mind for this year? What is it?
- Is your goal to become an effective leader? Awesome cook? Grow healthy natural hair, etc?
- Do you want to study the bible more? Read a certain amount of books?
- Is this the year you will start a Non-Profit? Or a new business?
- Which comfort zones are you going to come out of? Have you identified those areas that could use growth?
- How are you going to give back to your community?
- Who are the people, places and things that you could reciprocally benefit from your investment of time?
Below are 5 Tips to help this year get started off right:
- Don’t confuse this with a New Year’s Resolution. The reason why I say this is because New Year’s Resolutions typically only last about the first few months into the year or until it is accomplished. I want you to be successful at this so we won’t combine it with a resolution. Besides, when do you ever hear the words “New Year’s Resolution” past the month of March?
- Set measurable goals. If your goal is to save a certain amount of money by a certain period. Divide the full amount in increments and proceed that way. The results will be two fold. Not only will you have small goals you are accomplishing, which is great for momentum, but at the end of the period you will have met your initial goal. Also remember that S.M.A.R.T. goals are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely.
- Be honest enough to finally get over that hurdle. Do you have an area of your life that is weak and suffering because you haven’t put an adequate amount of time and effort toward it? Each year you push it to the back burner, each year it’s something you deal with. You are tired of your life looking like a merry go round yet you haven’t stopped it from spinning. Stop turning the same corner and stop coming back to face the same thing over again. This year, you need to commit to face it head on. Your destiny awaits.
- If you have children, have them set some goals for the coming year as well. Helping them make their own vision board is not only a great way to get them to think strategically but by doing exercises like this, they will grow into effective leaders and goal driven adults.
- lastly…If you see a need, be the resolution. There are things that weigh on you and you wish there is something that you could do. You have the idea but may not think that you can execute it. Well, if God gave you the idea then you are essential to the plan and you must do your part.
Take time to celebrate your accomplishments and celebrate your life.
A year goes by extremely fast but it is plenty of time to make a significant difference. Let’s plan this year and make it as purposeful as possible.
Pictured is my Vision/Motivational Board for 2014. My Board for 2015 is going to be a lot more strategic. I chose this year to focus on loving, enhancing and growing myself, and what a year it has been. Although, I didn’t realize it at the time, I needed this board to help me get through the tough periods in this year. The picture on top says, “you have to keep pushing yourself” and that is exactly what I had to do. My motivational board kept me encouraged and not getting lost in everything that was going on around me. Although I didn’t know what this year would entail, my vision board was perfect as it highlighted…
- The things that bring me peace and serenity
- The thing that bring me joy
- The things that motivate me
- Reminders of who I am and how significant I am to my family and my community.
- Reminders that I am never alone
Favorite quotes from the board…
- “They think I’m very cute and so sweet. But that won’t cut it anymore” – Mandy Moore
- “Start Unknown, Finish Unforgettable” -unknown
- “A breeze makes all the difference” –unknown
- (I know this sounds weird but one of my favorite things is a cool breeze on a warm day. I get lost in the serenity of something so simple and God given)
- “Don’t be afraid to fail, be afraid not to try” –unknown”
- “The real thing rocks” – unknown (When love is real it covers, it protects, and it brings out the best in you)
Images from the board…
Images have a way of capturing thoughts without words. Many of my images were images of confident and strong women. The images speak to where I am now as well as my future. Hopefully this has given you a few ideas to get started. Don’t go into this year without goals in mind. If you wait until 2015 to do this, it’s already too late.
Get ‘er done,
©She Smiles Within